At last week’s meeting, the board voted 16-11 in favor of the festival, which will run from Thursday, September 3, to Sunday, September 6, on Fresh Pond Road between Woodbine and Menahan streets.
Prior to the vote, Tony DiPiazza, president of the Federacione Italo-Americana di Brooklyn and Queens, which sponsors the event, reiterated that the group has never had an incident in the last 25 years.
He also said out of the $28,000 the organization made in profits last year from the festival, several thousand dollars were donated to community groups, including a local food pantry, the 104th Precinct Community Council and the Glendale Civilian Observation Patrol.
They also reopened a community assistance office on Myrtle Avenue to help community members with Social Security, Medicare and other applications.
“We ask that you support this,” DiPiazza said.
Walter Sanchez, first vice chair of CB5, made the motion to approve the festival, which was eventually passed.
“They run it without problems, without issues,” he said. “They have given back to the community.
“It’s a wonderful festival, people are happy,” Sanchez added. “I think we should have no objection.”
Editor’s Note: Walter Sanchez is the publisher of this newspaper.