A echocardiogram test is a type of ultrasound used to look at how the heart is functioning. It’s a painless and non-invasive procedure that lets NYC cardiologist nearby such as Dr. Steven Reisman, see the anatomy, structure and function of all four chambers and valves of the heart, and is performed by a trained sonographer. An echocardiogram takes “moving pictures” of the heart with sound waves. The ultrasound and electrocardiography (ECG) signals are recorded digitally to be reviewed by the Cardiologist.
An echocardiogram is performed by a highly skilled cardiac technician and usually takes between 30 and 45 minutes. The patient lies on an exam table and an ultrasound probe is placed on the chest and two-dimensional pictures produced. This cardiac test can indicate heart chamber or valve abnormalities. Your cardiology close by specialist of NYC cardiologist Dr. Reisman later reports on the findings and the results are usually available within two days.
Why is a Echocardiogram performed? An echocardiogram is performed to evaluate the valves and chambers of the heart in a non-invasive way. The echocardiogram allows doctors to diagnose, evaluate, and monitor:
- Abnormal heart valves
- Any structural or functional defects of the heart
- Atrial fibrillation
- Congenital heart disease
- Damage to the heart muscle in patients who have had heart attacks
- Heart murmurs
- Infection in the sac around the heart (pericarditis)
- Infection on or around the heart valves (infectious endocarditis)
- Pulmonary hypertension
- The heart’s pumping ability
- The pumping function of the heart for people with heart failure
- The source of a blood clot after a stroke or TIA
- The structure, thickness and movement of the heart valves
- The size of the chambers of the heart, which can change with conditions such as hypertension, heart damage with a myocardial infarction or congestive heart failure.
If you experience any cardiovascular signs or symptoms, come visit our cardiology clinic in all nearby NYC locations including Downtown, Midtown and Upper East Side and meet Dr. Steven Reisman. He is an expert echocardiogram specialist who can provide echocardiography testing and analysis.
If you have or suspect or known cardiac diseases, including atrial fibrillation, heart failure and valvular heart disease
New York Cardiac Diagnostic Center
200 West 57th Street, Suite 200
New York, NY 10019